Frequently Asked Questions
Some frequently asked questions that could help you understand more about your HVAC.
- What is HVAC? HVAC is the abbreviation for Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning. HVAC is most often used to describe the whole heating and cooling system that consist of the duct work, air filters, humidification controls, and registers.
- When replacing the outdoor system, should the indoor unit also be replaced? It is recommended to replace the indoor unit at the same time as the replacement of your outdoor unit for several reasons. Split-system air conditioners are integrated units and are built to work together. When you only replace half of the unit, there is the potential to have inefficient heat transfer which leads to operational inefficiencies. Your unit will produce less cooling for every Kw of electricity consumed which will in turn raise your utility bills. New condensing units have coils which are sleeker in design and function, making it impossible for your old evaporator coil to keep up. As the heat is not transferred smoothly, air flow becomes restricted and the compressor could become overwhelmed and give out.
- What type of filter should I use? And how often should I replace it? There are two types of air filters – washable, and disposable. Washable filters are best at catching larger particles such as dust, or soot. Disposable filters are better at trapping fine particles such as dust, pet dander, smoke, virus, etc. RushCo recommends replacing your disposable filters once a month. When the filter is replaced at the recommend time, it will help you obtain the optimum efficiency and filtration. Washable filters should be cleaned once a month.
- Is there anything that I should check prior to calling for service? Before calling for service, there are a few things that you can check on your unit. First be sure that the air conditioner or furnace is turned on. Then, check that the breakers and also the disconnects are turned on and be sure the thermostat is set correctly. Finally make a note of any strange noises or smells.
- Where can I get parts for my equipment? RushCo maintains accounts with many vendor houses which makes us able to find the correct parts for your unit quickly and efficiently.
- How can I increase the efficiency and life of my home’s heating and cooling systems? A few quick tips to increase efficiency are: Clean and replace your filters frequently, leave the blower in the “on” position to heat and cool more evenly. The blower provides constant air movement throughout the home, and allows for better filtration. Lastly, install shades, drapes, shutters or screens on windows that are exposed to extreme sunlight to keep room temperatures at moderate levels.
- What does my warranty cover? Under the standard factory warranty, covers parts that fail during the warranty period due to defect in the part. The warranty does not cover labor. A warranty certificate is included with your homeowner information packet. In the packet is also detail specific to the model numbers, serial numbers and installation dates of your products.
- Which HVAC equipment will best fit my home? There are many factors that affect the sizing and specifications of your system. Some of those factors are: square footage, insulation, window surface and configuration. Other factors include geographic location of your home, duct sizing and arrangement. RushCo can perform an on-site visit to determine what equipment combinations will best suit your home and your family’s needs. Depending upon the construction of your home, one (1) ton of air conditioning can cool anywhere from 300 to 800 square feet of home.
Don’t hesitate to Contact Us for more information about your HVAC.